Tuesday, April 04, 2006

You full of junk like a sausage

Warning - the following post contains sections of white boy jive talk. It will make you cringe

Feeling a bit groggy this morning. Leeds Festival launch shindig last night which meant free wine for a short period of time. So the only logical thing to do was fire as much of it down me as possible, taking care to line my stomach with some of the lovely onion bahjis which were kicking around. The result is killer hang over and only a cup of coffee and a Non More Black CD for company. The latter of which isn't really helping. I miss Kid Dynamite....snivel

Anyway, it seems like it's going to be a sunny day, so as I drove to work this morning it was windows down, stereo up. Choice of music for my journey? KRS-One's Return Of The Boombap. Now anyone that knows me will tell you that I'm a nerd. Anyway that really knows me will tell you that more than anything, I am a hiphop nerd. I know stuff about rap music that nobody really needs, or for that matter wants, to know. Samples, obscure b-sides, MC guest spots - I can list them all. Hard to understand why I'm single sometimes...

Well the above is not strictly true, because my interest is only really in Old Skool (not the maditory K) rap. Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, De La Soul, Run DMC, Pharcyde - anyone who comes to bring the party. You can keep your 50cents, Eminems, The Games and your Nellys. Nu-skool gangsta rap is the most tiresome music around. They're all like 'look at the size of my gun motherbitch' and I'm all like 'whatever dawg'. Nope, I'm all up in the 84-94 rap game, before 2Pac came along and made it all wack.

So KRS-One, one of the early rap pioneers, with political lyrics and a distinctive and abrasive voice and style. Whilst there are elements of gangsta rap to it, the beats are funky, and the lyrics are about fighting opression and shaking off material desires. There are many parallels between rap music and punk music, and as far as I'm concerned, Chuck D and KRS-One are the Joe Strummers of rhyme.

So check it

KRS-One - Return Of The Boom Bap



KRS-One - Step Into A World

No comments:

Read Previous Ramblings