Friday, March 31, 2006

Baby is this love for real?

Okay, final post in my dodgy, dodgy theme week of Bands You Should Check Out... / Nerd-Rock. I should have saved this for a side projects theme week which I had half planned with some Rentals and Reggie And The Full Effects. But anywho, it's my blog so I can do what I want. So there

In the last two (maybe even three) years of my alternative club DJing career, the most requested record has been, without a doubt, Beating Heart Baby by Head Automatica. Not once have I been asked for another track from the album Decadence which is weird, as it is an album packed with dance floor friendly rock club tunes. I was recommended the album by my mate Paul, who works at Crash Records, and although I was initially skeptical, I played the album to death. After all, it was a meeting of two of my favorite musicians - Dan The Automator (a brilliant Hiphop producer for amongst others Del The Funky Homosapian, Handsome Boy modeling School and Gorillaz) and Daryl Palumbo (Glassjaw)

Glassjaw were an amazing band before they imploded after only two albums. Clever tech metal/emo showcasing Palumbo's ability to move from melody to scream in a single syllable, dripping with political and emotional vitriol. Their debut, Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence was, along with Thursday's first release, a benchmark of the emo-rock genre, paving the way for bands like Finch, Atreyu, Thrice and Funeral For A Friend. Although the follow up, Worship and Tribute was not as well received, it still features some great songs.

Palumbo has dabbled in various side projects, including guesting on the Finch album, a hiphop album under the name Rondo Brothers, and most successfully Head Automatica. Unfortunately, he suffers from Crohn's disease which makes touring extremely problematic and has led to many cancellations and no-shows. However, on record he is a versatile and talented vocalist. Any excuse to post Glassjaw is a fine by me, and I recommend that anyone who enjoys Head Automatica should at least check out the band.

Plus, I get an excuse to post some Dan The Automater. Woo! Hoo!

Head Automatica - Beating Heart Baby



Glassjaw - Ape Dos Mil



Glassjaw - Cosmopoliton Bloodloss



Gorillaz - Rock The House (ft Dan The Automator and Del The Funkee Homosapian

No comments:

Read Previous Ramblings